1. Babe Ruth Certification (required for Travel)
2. Concussion Training*
3. Background Check
4. USA Baseball SafeSport Course*
*These 2 certificates must be with coaches at all games.
Babe Ruth Certification: All coaches for the Travel league are required to be certified through Babe Ruth Baseball in order to coach an Edina Baseball Association team. Rec league, Senior Rec league and Fall league coaches are recommended to be certified but NOT required. The Edina Baseball Association Board of Directors believe the certification process will enhance both the player and coach experience, and create consistency in philosophy and player development throughout the EBA. Certification is valid for 3 years and must be current in the age group you are coaching.
2. Once you've created an account, send an email at
and you will be sent the code to take the course.
Minnesota Legislature's "Concussion Law" requires online training for all coaches. The law mandates that:
- All coaches (head and assistants) and officials receive concussion training and education, then at three-year intervals thereafter.
- Coaches must remove an athlete from activity if they exhibit signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion and/or are suspected of sustaining a concussion.
- The law also requires an appropriate health care professional's signature to return to play if an athlete is removed due to a concussion or is showing signs or symptoms of a concussion.
- The Concussion Education recommended for coaches and officials is the online video training session developed by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Federation of State High Schools. This course requires registration but is free. The training process involves watching a video and then successfully completing a quiz. The entire training module can be completed in a little over a half an hour and then you can print out a certificate.