VP of Travel: Derek Chrysler
Director 9-12U: Chris Geyer
Director 13-15U Peter Goepfrich
For players completing 3rd to 9th grade, ages 9 to 15. The season typically runs from mid-April through mid- or late-July. Registration typically opens January 1 and closes mid-February.
Travel Baseball is only open to players that either live in Edina or go to school in Edina. Travel Baseball is offered for those players interested in competing at a higher level within their age group; see Goals / Player Development. Travel Teams will typically have games or practices 3-5 times per week. The season will typically include 30 or more games over the course of the season. Travel Baseball requires a greater commitment in that each participant is expected to attend all practices, games, weekend tournaments and other team activities which will be scheduled any day of the week; see the Travel Commitment Policy.
All players are required to attend all tryout sessions unless an excuse is approved in advance through the Commissioner and the Director; see Tryout Schedule and Information. Age groups 10U-14U typically have four teams consisting of 12 players; 1 AAA, 1 AA and 2 A. “AAA” is the highest competitive level. Age group 15U typically has two team consisting of 13 players; 1 AAA, and 1 AA or A. This year the EBA added 1 9U AAA team. It is important to note there is a limited number of other 9U teams and play will likely include more extensive commuting to games than 10U-15U play.
Each of the teams playing in these levels will have similar experiences with competition that is consistent with their current level of play. Edina Travel Baseball plays in the Metro Baseball League (MBL). Full details on rules by age group including bat rules is available on the MBL website.
The Edina Travel Baseball primarily relies on parent coaches and leverages paid coaches at the 13U-15U AAA and AA levels. It is ideal to have 2-3 coaches per team. Please consider coaching and see Coach Selection.
Players typically play with their grade. For Travel Baseball, a player’s Baseball Age is determined based on a May 1st cutoff. Players who are young for their grade may try out with their grade. However, players must choose one tryout group. Players cannot be older than the age limits based on league rules. For example:
- 3rd grader that is 10 before May 1st cannot play 9U Travel and can play 10U Travel
- 4th grader that is 11 before May 1st cannot play 10U Travel and can play 11U Travel
- 5th grader that is 12 before May 1st cannot play 11U Travel and can play 12U Travel
- 6th grader that is 13 before May 1st cannot play 12U Travel and can play 13U Travel
- 7th grader that is 14 before May 1st cannot play 13U Travel and can play 14U Travel
- 8th grader that is 15 before May 1st cannot play 14U Travel and can play 15U Travel
- 9th grader that is 16 before May 1st cannot play 15U Travel
General Schedule Information
- Tryouts take place in February and March. For more information, and exact dates and times see Tryout Schedule and Information.
- Edina Travel Baseball plays in the Metro Baseball League (MBL) for regular season games which consists of 16 games that will also include an optional end of season single elimination play-off.
- Feb-Mar: Travel Tryouts
- Early Apr: MBL coaches scheduling meeting
- Mid-Apr: Practices typically begin
- Late-Apr: MBL play begins and will end in early July
- Note exception: 15U starts late May after the completion of Edina High School Freshman Baseball
- Tournaments: Tournaments generally run Friday to Sunday depending on how the team performs with a minimum 3 games and the potential for 4-6 total games. The EBA pays for three weekend tournaments with one tournament played in Edina, one played in the metro area and one typically played outside the metro area “overnight”.
- State tournaments: If a team earns a bid based on tournament play, the EBA will pay for one state tournament. There are three state tournaments: Metro Baseball Tournament (MBT), Gopher State (MYAS/GSTC), Minnesota Sports Federation (MFS). The different state tournaments take place over the last 3 weekends of July. Teams that don’t earn a state tournament bid may choose to apply for an open bid; fees related to an open bid are the responsibility of the team. Qualifying teams typically opt to play in 1 or 2 state tournaments.
- Travel Baseball fee: $590 paid to the EBA at registration, which includes a non-refundable $50 tryout.
- Uniform fee: $70 uniform fee for 2 jerseys and 1 hatwill be paid directly to uniform vendor.
- Players trying out for a travel team who aren’t placed on a travel team will be moved to a Recreation team and a $250 refund will be issued.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations must be requested in writing. A player withdrawing prior to tryouts will receive a full refund for EBA fees minus an admin charge. A player withdrawing from Edina baseball after being placed on a Travel Baseball team will forfeit 50% of Travel Baseball fee for the program. There will be no refunds for withdrawals or cancellations received after the season begins.
- Other costs: Teams and players may elect to incur other costs associated with optional apparel, additional in-season tournaments, at-large state tournament entries, additional practice sessions, etc. These costs are not required by the EBA and should be considered discretionary expenses at the option of the team and players.
- Scholarships are available. Please make your request prior to registration; see Scholarship Information.